Dutch Polyglot Jan Van Der Aa on How To Monetize Your Love of Languages as a “Langpreneur”
Feb 02, 2020
In the interview, Jan and I discuss:
- Why most people need more motivation, not information.
- The many similarities between learning a language and launching a business (e.g. the importance of doing the uncomfortable few tasks that truly matter instead of sticking inside one’s comfort zone).
- Why Jan and Olly rebranded “Language Influencer” to “Langpreneur.”
- How to transform one’s passion for foreign languages into a profitable online business.
- How to scale and automate a language business, and go past trading hours for income.
- An overview of Langpreneur’s workshops and masterminds.
- Jan’s language learning journey, polyglot “origin story,” and international travel adventures.
- The importance of having a strong enough “WHY” to learn a language.
- Why languages are means to communicate and connect with humans, not an academic subject.
- Why he co-founded the LanguageBoost blog, YouTube channel, etc.
- The power of reading what you listen to (e.g. using an app like LingQ).
- What a typical day of language learning looked like for Jan in his 20s, and how he maintains languages now in his 30s amid having a new child, another on the way, building a house, and running a business full-time.
- What language adventures are next for Jan.
- Why apps like Duolingo can be a useful augment in language learning, but why there is no replacement for directly practicing the skills that matter (listening and speaking).
- What Jan has changed his mind about in the world of language learning and language entrepreneurship.
- Jan’s top tips to get started in “langpreneurship” right away, and the importance of defining a specific enough niche (ideally a “niche within a niche”).
Concepts, Events, People & Resources Mentioned
- Olly Richards (Polyglot & Founder of StoryLearning)
- Richard Simcott (Polyglot)
- The Polyglot Conference
- The Polyglot Gathering
- Langpreneur Podcast (Rebranded as CreatorSmarts)
- Gabriel Gelman (Polyglot & Founder of Sprachheld)
- Johan Tekfak (Founder of Français Authentique)
- Luca Lampariello (Polyglot & Founder of Smart Language Academy)
- Steve Kaufmann (Polyglot & LingQ Cofounder)
- Anki (Spaced Repetition Flashcards)
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR)