Language Coach Stéphane Angeles on How to Use the "Barbie Method" & Improve All 4 Language Skills
Coach Stéphane Angeles is a language coach who helps expats speak better Spanish through expert habit formation strategies, accountability, and one-on-one guidance via Zoom and audio check-ins.
In the interview, we discuss:
- Why you should use a walkie talkie app to practice listening and speaking.
- Why you should practice writing daily (and how it can help you speak better).
- How to use the strategies of "Time," "Place," and "Target."
- The critical importance of mindset and psychology in language learning.
- Why TV shows are such an ideal language learning tool.
- Why children's books and TV shows are NOT ideal for adult learners.
- How to get repetition without boredom.
- The most common mistakes language learners make.
- Why you don't need to memorize grammar rules to speak a language well.
- Why you need to practice ALL 4 skills: listening, speaking, reading & writing.
- Why the language itself is not the hard part of learning a language.
- Why you should avoid the "comparison trap" with polyglots on YouTube.
- Why you shouldn't believe everything you think.
- Why there is no such thing as a "perfect" language resource or method.
- How to use the "Barbie Method" to practice multiple languages.
To learn more about Steph and her Spanish coaching, check out her Spanish Speaking Academy.
- Speaking Academy: Steph's 1-on-1 coaching program
- Voxer: Walkie talkie messaging app
- DeepL: Online translation tool
- Language Reactor: Chrome extension for Netflix & YouTube
- Short Stories in Spanish for Beginners by Olly Richards
- Short Stories in Spanish for Intermediate Learners by Olly Richards
- Browse all of Olly's short story books on Amazon
- Spanish Uncovered: Olly's online story-based course for beginners
- Harry Potter: La colección completa (Spanish editions of books 1-7)
- Use Narrow Listening & Reading to Get Repetition Without the Boredom
- Anki: spaced repetition flashcards app
- Assimil: Bilingual readers available in multiple languages
- LingQ: Learn languages from content you love (Netflix, YouTube, news, etc.)