With seven languages under his linguistic belt and an academic background in Applied Linguistics, Olly Richards of IWillTeachYouaLanguage.com has proven that he can both talk the talk and walk the walk. His infectious passion for all things language is a breath of fresh air in the increasingly cynical language learning blogosphere. In the interview, we discuss:
- The under-appreciated importance of psychology in language learning.
- How he has had to alter his approach to language learning now that he is learning a language in country where it isn’t widely spoken (Cantonese in Qatar of all places!).
- His experience participating in Brian Kwong’s +1 Challenge (an approach he lovingly refers to as “crowdsourced motivation”).
- The role of teachers in language education.
- The power of “negotiated syllabi.”
- Olly’s Website: I Will Teach You a Language
- Olly’s Podcast: I Will Teach You a Language Podcast
- Olly’s Resources: I Will Teach You a Language Learning Centre
- Olly’s Books: Short Stories for French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Russian
- Olly’s Follow-Up Interview with Me: The Ultimate How To Learn Mandarin Chinese Interview